The Committee has decided to recommend recognition of the following new organizations:
Capoeira (restricted, Sports/Recreation)
Drivers Club (funded, Hobbies)
Emergency Health Services Council of Majors (funded, Academic/Departmental)
Pre-Veterinary Society (funded, Career/Professional)
Tau Sigma Transfer Honor Society (restricted, Honor Society)
UMBC TV (funded, Media)
United States Air Force Reserve ROTC (funded, Career/Professional)
In addition, the Committee reviewed the Men of Strength Club’s proposed constitution and requested clarifying changes.
2. Student Organization Categories
David Hoffman reported that only one organization had responded to the Committee's e-mail about the new system of categories by requesting reassignment to a new category, and even that organization already had been placed in the requested category (but apparently had not read the list carefully).
However, a student leader has contacted the Committee to express his concern about the placement of Alpha Sigma Kappa in the Academic/Departmental category, because he believes ASK operates as a social Greek organization. The Committee agreed that members would confer with Greek Life Coordinator Corin Gioia and develop a process for reviewing the status of existing organizations that may belong in the Greek Life category.
3. Summary: What The Student Orgs Committee Did This Semester
- Developed and published a new sample Constitution for prospective new student organizations
- Revised the system of student organization categories for clarity and accuracy, and sorted existing organizations into the new categories
- Clarified the meaning of the SGA Student Organizations Policy provisions relating to funding status and restrictions on membership
- Worked with prospective student organizations to move them through the process of gaining formal UMBC recognition, and recommended recognition of 16 new student organizations
- Recommended revocation of 60 student organizations’ recognition for failure to comply with the registration requirement or the 5-member rule
- Began to address longstanding ambiguities about the boundaries of the Sports/Recreation and Greek Life student organization categories